Hartwell Legal

10 Tips on what to do if your family member dies without a Will

  1. Contact a lawyer who is an expert in Wills and Estates.
  2. Find out the assets and liabilities of the deceased person.
  3. Obtain the Death Certificate.
  4. Obtain the court’s authority to administer the affairs of the deceased person (Letters of Administration).
  5. Notify authorities about the death (ATO, Medicare, insurers, banks, Centrelink etc.)
  6. Arrange and pay for the funeral – the only payment that can come out of a deceased person’s bank account is for a funeral.
  7. Close off casual subscriptions and memberships.
  8. Hand in passports and licenses.
  9. Secure assets and businesses.
  10. Make sure the spouse and children are provided for via an advance for welfare.